We were all created for more than this world has to offer. We must stop measuring ourselves by the "common Christianity" of our day. God’s not calling to be warmer than others. God desires to awaken us to the eternal purposes of our gifted lives to release God’s Kingdom in the earth!
Polished church services with slick invitations to help congregations get their friends and family to attend is not what will change the world. The world has had enough clever. We need power! This power comes from a genuine and authentic relationship with the Holy Spirit in our everyday lives.
Last week’s message brings a practical understanding of how vital it is that we be willing to move beyond our logical conclusions as we seek to know and understand God. Please take the time to listen to this message if you were not with us that morning.
Several years ago we posted this message online to help people on their journey and pursuit of knowing God and having a daily relationship with the Holy Spirit.
The less we pay attention to the Holy Spirit the more we thirst for entertainment. The more we seek to be entertained the more distracted our existence becomes. We were born for more than the pursuit of a moment. The best moment this world has to offer will never fulfill us!
It is up to us to cultivate a hunger for the deeper things of God. In the following video shot in the 1970’s, two people describe what it was like to experience the Azusa Street Revival. God is able to awaken our generation today just as he did in their generation over a century ago. Let’s stir ourselves up to take hold of the things of God.
DISCUSSION GUIDE FOR COMMUNITY GROUP LEADERS
1. When you look at yourself in the mirror what do you think and see?
2. What is the difference in what you see when you look at you and what God sees when he looks at you?
1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. NIV
When we look at ourselves we see what we have done. When God looks at us he sees what he has done. Don’t waste your passion on your past. God has purposed an amazing future for you.
3. Think of a time when you were filled with excitement and anticipation about something that was to come. What were you so excited about?
4. Faith is the substance of things hoped for according to Hebrews 11. We should cultivate an expectation with God in response to all Jesus has done and prepared for us as God’s chosen people! As we read the following verses consider what stands out to you?
1 Thessalonians 1:4 For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you. NIV
1 Peter 1:2 (You) have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance. NIV
Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. NIV
5. On the playground it is common to select two captains who begin picking people to be on their team. How does a child feel when chosen first by a team captain? How does a child feel when chosen last? Which of these best describes the way you feel about being chosen by God and why do you feel that way?
You were not God’s last choice. You are God’s first choice as the only person who can fulfill the plan God purposed for you!
God does not love us because we are valuable. We are valuable because he loves us. We’re more sinful and flawed than we care to believe. We’re more accepted and loved than we can possibly imagine.
When we understand that God’s love for us is based on what Christ did for us we will stop disqualifying ourselves and live with greater expectation of all God has in store! God wants to talk to you this week!
GP2RL: Memorize Jeremiah 33:3 as a family goal or with friends. Read the Book of Acts